UNM Small Business Institute (SBI)
The UNM Small Business Institute (SBI) at Anderson provides consulting work for local start-ups, expanding businesses, nonprofit organizations and family enterprises. Every semester, 15-20 student teams comprised of 3-5 students, guided by a UNM Anderson faculty member, assist clients in preparing strategic business plans, financial analyses and marketing research studies. These mutually beneficial partnerships offer students an experiential learning opportunity while providing businesses with management assistance at an affordable rate.
- Assisted more than 700 clients since its founding in 1978.
- The past three years, SBI student teams have been awarded top rankings in the annual SBI Project of the Year program competing against 75+ colleges nationwide
- A recent independent study by the Mid-Region Council of Governments reported that between 2014 and 2015, UNM Small Business Institute's clients applied the recommendations of UNM student consulting teams and created 195 direct and indirect jobs with $8.28 million in wage and salary compensation.
- In addition, the study credits UNM Small Business Institute's clients with helping grow the state's economy by $14.05 million in gross domestic product.
- Marketing Research
- Finance and/or Profit Control
- Human Resources
- Business Plans
Project Fee Structure
- $1,000 for businesses with more than $500,000 in annual revenues
- $500 for small businesses with up to $500,000 in annual revenues
- $250 for nonprofit organizations
- Complimentary for UNM departments, government agencies, and small business start-ups in operation for less than one year
For More Information
For more information, either email email@example.com or call (505) 277-8869.
Please complete our online Client Application.